Wednesday 11 April 2012

Rebirth: sketch

This is a sketch for a sculpture called Rebirth I drew roughly two years ago using pencils ranging from 2H to 4B on Moleskine paper, approx size 3 x 4 inches. Rebirth symbolises the start of a new life for me and a new way of thinking. It’s mainly based upon the growth structures of plant life and insects, for example seeds, blossom, larva, pupa, etc. I have always been influenced by organic materials within my work, mainly taking existing recognisable organic matter and recreating a new form (usually with inorganic materials such as chrome, for this sculpture I have decided to go for a purely organic structure). I will be using a fairly robust but smooth clay body for this piece. Something I can add texture too where needed without the limitations of a heavily groged clay. As for glazing, I’m not very traditional in that department. I would rather use car paints, varnishes, air brushing or just oxides, as I like to keep the use of glaze to a minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment